Holiday lights add festive beauty to your home both inside and out, but it’s important to play it safe when displaying holiday lights. The United States Fire Administration states that fires from holiday lights and Christmas trees cause substantially more damage to the home than other types of fires. Follow these electrical decorating tips from the Kansas City outdoor lighting team at Jeremy Services and enjoy a merry and bright holiday!
Indoor Lighting Safety Tips
- Always inspect all lights, before hanging, for any frays or tears in the wiring.
- Only use lighting and cords that are UL safety certified.
- Avoid using nails or tacks to secure lighting as the metal can short out the wire.
- Don’t allow lights to touch carpet, furniture or drapery.
- Switch to LED lights that are cooler and use less electricity.
- Don’t overload outlets with too many extension cords and plugs.
- Turn off holiday lights before leaving the home or going to bed.
Outdoor Lighting Safety Tips
- As with indoor lights, check for any frays or tearing on the wires and consider switching to LED lights which are cooler and save energy.
- Outdoor lights and decorations should be plugged into a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
- Only use extension cords approved for outdoor use and do not overload with more than three strands of lights.
- Ensure that outdoor lights are fastened securely enough to withstand any wind.
- Avoid displaying lights or light-up decorations in areas with very dry leaves or plants.
- Keep outdoor light connectors off of the ground and away from metal gutters.
- Only use lights that are approved for safe outdoor use. UL designation on the light packaging is green for indoors only and red for indoor/outdoor use.
Go ahead and show off your decorating know-how, but keep these tips in mind for a safe and beautiful holiday! If you have any electrical needs or questions, contact us online or call us at 913-375-0070.